Monday, April 21, 2014

First Photo Shoot

So I got a little bit behind schedule but I finally finished my first group of pictures! My friend Camille Wall modeled for me, and we did the photo shoot in my house (it was still too cold out to do it outdoors!)
I decided to just focus on hair and makeup on this one, getting an idea of how hair and makeup effects the feel of the pictures. I wanted to try something glamourous, so we went with a purple toned smokey eye and red lips. I was worried that a purple smokey eye wouldn't look right, since purple doesn't match very many colours. Also, I wasn't sure purple would go with Camille's green eyes, but I think it worked out. You don't notice the purple that much, it just creates a sort of shadow over her eye.

Here's the makeup that I used on her:
-primer (Almay)
-BB cream (Benefit, light)
-bronzer (Revlon,
-eye shadow (Covergirl sampler palatte:
-mascara (M.A.C.,
-pencil eye liner (NARS, kohl black)
-lip stick (Kate Moss,

I edited the photos a bit, mostly just to add contrast because I found my pictures to be a little faded. My lighting situation wasn't great; there was a window for natural lighting but it wasn't really bright enough. Soo I upped the contrast to try to balance this out.

Looking back, I think I should've gone even more dramatic. Its weird to get used to making the makeup so dark; being used to every day makeup, dramatic styles will take a lot of practice. I kept thinking I was putting on too much, but I probably could've made the smokey eye darker. Fashion pictures usually have really over-the-top makeup and hair, so I need to develop confidence in doing that.

I'm really looking forward to the next shoot, where I can fix all the things I did wrong, and build on what I learned!
I had a difficult time editing this picture because the colours were pretty dull in the original; however, when I increased the contrast, the shadows over her eyes got too dark. I ended up fiddling around with the shadow and highlights levels until I found something that worked. I would've liked some more contrast in this picture, but it was the best I could manage.
Since this is a cropped picture, it turned out pretty blurry, which I couldn't seem to find a way around. However, poor image quality aside, I loved the way this one turned out, so I posted it anyways :)



1 comment:

  1. Great start to your portfolio, AilĂ­s! You explain your process and equipment in detail and even share your thoughts about enhancements you'd like to make. Improved lighting will be very rewarding. When is the next shoot?

    ReplyDelete